Another instalment in the Flatpak saga

Thomas Kluyver
My adventures mixing pygame and Flatpak have got a bit further. I now have a crude tool which can build a working Flatpak package from a config file describing your game. See the instructions here:
https://github.com/takluyver/pygame-flatpak-test#readme

I want to emphasise that this is very unpolished at the moment. If you're interested in distributing games to Linux users, please try it out, but expect bugs! I hope it will be a stepping-stone to a more general tool to package Python applications using Flatpak, but I'm still thinking about how that will work, and I want to get some more experience of the Flatpak system.

I've updated the two example games I was working with to build with this tool. Here's the diff for Solarwolf, which didn't need any changes in the code:
https://github.com/pygame/solarwolf/compare/master...takluyver:flatpak

And here's the diff for Luke's Pyweek game, Solarflair, which needed a few tweaks:
https://github.com/lukevp/pyweek23/compare/master...takluyver:flatpak

In other news, I hear that Ubuntu 17.04 will include Flatpak in a default install, which seems like a good sign that I'm not wasting my time. ;-)

Thanks,
Thomas

Re: Another instalment in the Flatpak saga

René Dudfield
Cool.

Also, that's nice news that it will be installed by default. I wonder what that means for Snap. I sort of feel bad for Ubuntu, where so many of the things they make are not taken up by the winder community. On the other hand, perhaps we'd never have heard of flatpak otherwise.

It seems 16.04 is supported with a ppa on Ubuntu, and it's at least packaged for many other ones. Couldn't find anything about being in by default with mint, manjaro, fedora, suse, raspberian? I guess it's too soon.

I wonder if you tried the 'change current working directory' hack, and it didn't work?

cheerio,

Thomas

On 26 March 2017 at 08:16, René Dudfield <[hidden email]> wrote:
I sort of feel bad for Ubuntu, where so many of the things they make are not taken up by the winder community. On the other hand, perhaps we'd never have heard of flatpak otherwise.

Yeah, I feel that way too. The community seems to be pretty hostile to a number of projects from Canonical. In this case, though, I don't think they really tried to push Snap as a solution for desktop apps - there was a half-hearted push to get it into other distros, but it never felt like they were really committed to it. I think they're more interested in server and mobile use cases, because there's more potential revenue there.

It seems 16.04 is supported with a ppa on Ubuntu, and it's at least packaged for many other ones. Couldn't find anything about being in by default with mint, manjaro, fedora, suse, raspberian? I guess it's too soon.

It's in a default install of Fedora 25 (the current stable version). I think it's backed by people in the Gnome/Fedora/Red Hat set, so that's no surprise. It's in Debian's repos, but I don't know if/when it will be included in a default install of things like Mint or Raspbian.

I wonder if you tried the 'change current working directory' hack, and it didn't work?

I didn't try it yet. I think it certainly should work, it just feels wrong.

Thomas