Pygame "look and feel"

12

Pygame "look and feel"

Aikiman
I read a couple of comments in the past about how out-dated www.pygame.org looks so I was thinking that I could offer up my design skills to create some new looks for it while somebody else builds the html version of the site. If this is something the creators of pygame.org are interested in then chime in, I would also consider designing a new logo for pygame too if interested - perhaps include the old but bring it into the 21st century. Sorry if this isnt appropriate topic for these boards. Im happy to take it somewhere else if requested.

Just food for thought.

RE: [pygame] Pygame "look and feel"

Westley Martínez
It might be a good idea if you could show us some of your work.

I like graphic design so I'm always interested in seeing this kind of
stuff.

Paul Vincent Craven
Personally, I think the site should use a modern back-end and have several people keep it updated. I'd like to be able to go to pygame and see new news every week. I'd like to see people collaborate around updating the old code base, and work on a new one around SDL 2.0.

I played around with http://pygame.info/ as an idea for what it could be like. But I think several people need to work back and forth to come up with something really good.

Paul Vincent Craven

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 8:26 PM, Westley Martínez <[hidden email]> wrote:
It might be a good idea if you could show us some of your work.

I like graphic design so I'm always interested in seeing this kind of
stuff.

I like the idea of using a modern content management system like Wordpress or Joomla, this would definitely make updates easier to work with, I think the design could be worked on though but its a good start.

Let me play with a few ideas and present them here during the weekend see if it sparks any more interest.

Re: [pygame] Pygame "look and feel"

Dominik George

Re: [pygame] Pygame "look and feel"

René Dudfield
Hello,

the website is moving more to a distributed content management system, rather than just CMS.  Now the website has a backup server, along with two separate backup systems running, and it is running on raid1.

An alpha version of the new website will go up in about a week (which probably means two weeks).

all the best,

For what its worth then here are a couple of designs of the logo. Im only throwing them up here because i've already done the work but if you are interested I can continue onward with colors, otherwise I can drop this no problems. Maybe its something for the future then.

Re: [pygame] Pygame "look and feel"

Dominik George

Re: [pygame] Pygame "look and feel"

Jason Marshall
I like it, Aikiman. Here's an idea: We could keep the old logo for pygame 1.x.x and use the new logo for pygame 2.

Jason

For what its worth then here are a couple of designs of the logo. Im only
throwing them up here because i've already done the work but if you are
interested I can continue onward with colors, otherwise I can drop this no
problems. Maybe its something for the future then.

<http://pygame-users.25799.x6.nabble.com/file/n912/pygame1.jpg>

Re: [pygame] Pygame "look and feel"

Lenard Lindstrom
Looks good. Maybe the game controller can be the M in Pygame. Also, a
matching icon is needed.

Lenard Lindstrom

On 13-10-04 12:45 AM, Aikiman wrote:

> For what its worth then here are a couple of designs of the logo. Im only
> throwing them up here because i've already done the work but if you are
> interested I can continue onward with colors, otherwise I can drop this no
> problems. Maybe its something for the future then.
>
> <http://pygame-users.25799.x6.nabble.com/file/n912/pygame1.jpg>

RE: [pygame] Pygame "look and feel"

Westley Martínez
Nay, the M should not be the M in Pygame. Replacing letters with objects
is usually a bad idea, esp. when the letter isn't significant.  I think
Aikiman should try putting the controller in the Python's mouth.  Also,
I think the python (perhaps we should name him?) should look a little
less intimidating.  He's a lot more frightening when compared to the old
one.

The python is sometimes referred to as Snakey. I agree, leave the "M" as
an M. I do find the lettering in the main example illegible. Too much is
hidden by Snakey's body. In the top example Shakey is more of an
afterthought. Maybe the "PYGAME" can be left out entirely, as in the
lower right corner example. It can be included under the logo when
desired. As for the python being frightening, I find it more daring, or
risky. It reminds me of Sir Hiss
<http://youchew.net/wiki/index.php?title=Sir_Hiss>.

On 13-10-05 11:44 AM, Westley Martínez wrote:

> Nay, the M should not be the M in Pygame. Replacing letters with objects
> is usually a bad idea, esp. when the letter isn't significant.  I think
> Aikiman should try putting the controller in the Python's mouth.  Also,
> I think the python (perhaps we should name him?) should look a little
> less intimidating.  He's a lot more frightening when compared to the old
> one.

Good comments have been made.

Initially I had the idea to make the M the controller but as suggested there kind of needs to be a reason for it - however I decided to see what it looked like anyway over last nights session on the computer - I think it works but perhaps it would be better somewhere else. I could try in the python's mouth but I dont really want to change his face in anyway as I feel I have captured its expression pretty well, he needs some character and the controller would take that away from him.

Which brings me onto my second point how should the snake look. The logo style is based on 'retro cool' appeal - well at least thats where Ive tried to draw influence from :) I wanted a cheaky but half serious attitude. Trying to maintain some of the old logo of retro playfulness but taken out the goofy and replaced with serious cool.

Note Ive also introduced it as a color concept carrying the old logo colors through but subduing them somewhat and adding stylistic shading. Also played with the placement of lettering for clarity bringing the E in front of the snake.

In the next concept I think I will move the controller somewhere else and stick the M back in for starters. Ill sit on this for a couple of days and get back into it then.
Crits and comments welcome.

Re: [pygame] Pygame "look and feel"

Lenard Lindstrom
That looks nice. Maybe the python can hold the controller with his tail,
ala Sir Hiss. I played a bit with having Snakey perched atop the
letters, rather than wrapped around them. Just thoughts.

On 13-10-05 02:38 PM, Aikiman wrote:

> Good comments have been made.
>
> Initially I had the idea to make the M the controller but as suggested there
> kind of needs to be a reason for it - however I decided to see what it
> looked like anyway over last nights session on the computer - I think it
> works but perhaps it would be better somewhere else. I could try in the
> python's mouth but I dont really want to change his face in anyway as I feel
> I have captured its expression pretty well, he needs some character and the
> controller would take that away from him.
>
> Which brings me onto my second point how should the snake look. The logo
> style is based on 'retro cool' appeal - well at least thats where Ive tried
> to draw influence from :) I wanted a cheaky but half serious attitude.
> Trying to maintain some of the old logo of retro playfulness but taken out
> the goofy and replaced with serious cool.
>
> Note Ive also introduced it as a color concept carrying the old logo colors
> through but subduing them somewhat and adding stylistic shading. Also played
> with the placement of lettering for clarity bringing the E in front of the
> snake.
>
> In the next concept I think I will move the controller somewhere else and
> stick the M back in for starters. Ill sit on this for a couple of days and
> get back into it then.
> Crits and comments welcome.
> <http://pygame-users.25799.x6.nabble.com/file/n938/pythonLogo_v01.jpg>

Re: [pygame] Pygame "look and feel"

Greg Ewing
I don't think I like the stripes. They make it look
to me like the whole thing is flying through the air
in an awkward manner.

If that's not what you're trying to convey, maybe
a solid shadow would be better.

Greg

Re: [pygame] Pygame "look and feel"

Jake b
I like the concept.

- The choice looks like it'd scale pretty well too, which might be a
consideration. ( So that a 64px or so icon could work )
- It's more obvious that it's a snake

Maybe the bottom right one (no text) would be a good icon/small sized.
And a text one if it's bigger or a website.

Jake

Re: [pygame] Pygame "look and feel"

Aikiman
Okay had a bit of a play around, added eye brows to accentuate expression and add character, moved the controller and tucked it in Snakey's tail. I dont think it can go any deeper as it will conceal too much of the controller. Also changed the position of Snakey's body so that it no longer conceals the M or the E and changed the drop shadow to a plain version.
Somebody mentioned that this could be a good option for the release of Pygame 2.0, that sounds like a good idea whenever that might be.

Took some design and colour scheme off a Joomla template online tsk tsk (they all do the same thing nowadays anyways) and threw a pygame version on top with new Snakey.

Re: [pygame] Pygame "look and feel"

Lenard Lindstrom
I'm happy. Great work.

Lenard

On 13-10-09 02:07 AM, Aikiman wrote:

> Okay had a bit of a play around, added eye brows to accentuate expression and
> add character, moved the controller and tucked it in Snakey's tail. I dont
> think it can go any deeper as it will conceal too much of the controller.
> Also changed the position of Snakey's body so that it no longer conceals the
> M or the E and changed the drop shadow to a plain version.
> Somebody mentioned that this could be a good option for the release of
> Pygame 2.0, that sounds like a good idea whenever that might be.
>
> <http://pygame-users.25799.x6.nabble.com/file/n950/pythonLogo_v02.jpg>

12