https://pygame.org/

123

https://pygame.org/

René Dudfield

Re: https://pygame.org/

Martin Kühne
A sigh of relief. GJ! :-D

cheers!
mar77i

Re: https://pygame.org/

Thomas Kluyver
Thanks René! I take it this is now running from the code at https://github.com/pygame/pygameweb/ ?

I went through confirming my email address and resetting my password, but now I get 'account is disabled' when I try to log in. Is this part of the anti-spam measures? If this is what most new users will experience, can we make it clearer what's happening and what they need to do?

Thomas

Re: https://pygame.org/

René Dudfield
Hey ya,

yep. I've been meaning to improve the messaging there :) You need to https://www.pygame.org/confirm first, since you already had an account. Then probably use the http://www.pygame.org/reset after confirming. Not ideal, but I'll at least make the messages better now.

Newbies don't have that issue at least.

I'll email the 'web team' later about moderation, anti spam stuff, admin interface etc. I put up a guide for anyone who wants to contribute (already one pull request merged!) https://github.com/pygame/pygameweb/

cheers,

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 12:54 PM, Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks René! I take it this is now running from the code at https://github.com/pygame/pygameweb/ ?

I went through confirming my email address and resetting my password, but now I get 'account is disabled' when I try to log in. Is this part of the anti-spam measures? If this is what most new users will experience, can we make it clearer what's happening and what they need to do?

Thomas

Re: https://pygame.org/

René Dudfield
Actually, that seems like a separate issue... But I've added Confirm buttons when people try to log in with their accounts.

It should log in now for you?

Other people have confirmed ok... and I can't reproduce the issue. Maybe it's the order that you did things... or the phase of the moon ;)
Oh... maybe you have two different emails? Are you logging in with the gmail one or the other one?

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 12:54 PM, Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks René! I take it this is now running from the code at https://github.com/pygame/pygameweb/ ?

I went through confirming my email address and resetting my password, but now I get 'account is disabled' when I try to log in. Is this part of the anti-spam measures? If this is what most new users will experience, can we make it clearer what's happening and what they need to do?

Thomas

Re: https://pygame.org/

Michael Lutinsky

I really like this site!!

I tried to log in and it was a bit disorienting to have to jump through all the hoops regarding confirming then resetting my password, but that’s just because it wasn’t clear that that was needed because this is a new system.

If upon trying to login, the error message said, “hey this is a new site, we need you to do x, y, and z before the site will recognize you again,” then I’d feel more comforted knowing that the steps I was performing were okay and productive.

Other than that, I notice that the info on the Downloads page is nearly 8 years old for mostly versions 1.9.1. Even the line: "Not sure what to download?  Read the Installation Notes” has an 404 link.

~ Michael

On Friday, March 10, 2017 1:44:15 PM PST you wrote:

> Hey ya,

> yep. I've been meaning to improve the messaging there :) You need to

> https://www.pygame.org/confirm first, since you already had an account.

> Then probably use the http://www.pygame.org/reset after confirming. Not

> ideal, but I'll at least make the messages better now.

> Newbies don't have that issue at least.

> I'll email the 'web team' later about moderation, anti spam stuff, admin

> interface etc. I put up a guide for anyone who wants to contribute (already

> one pull request merged!) https://github.com/pygame/pygameweb/

> cheers,

> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 12:54 PM, Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Thanks René! I take it this is now running from the code at

> > https://github.com/pygame/pygameweb/ ?

> > I went through confirming my email address and resetting my password, but

> > now I get 'account is disabled' when I try to log in. Is this part of the

> > anti-spam measures? If this is what most new users will experience, can we

> > make it clearer what's happening and what they need to do?

> > Thomas

> > On 10 March 2017 at 08:51, René Dudfield <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> https://pygame.org/

Re: https://pygame.org/

René Dudfield
Good ideas Michael.

I'll improve the login message to be something like what you mentioned. Also, there's plenty of opportunity for wordsmiths to improve the emails as well. To perhaps make them more playful and fun. There's a 'security' templates folder with all the different bits: https://github.com/pygame/pygameweb/tree/master/pygameweb/templates/security

It might be worth making a 'confirm + reset password' link to smooth things for existing people. I also considered sending all people a confirmation email telling them about the new website... but decided not to bother everyone.

Yep, the downloads page still needs updating. Instead of Downloads at the top nav there is a 'Getting Started' page http://www.pygame.org/wiki/GettingStarted
Thomas has been doing some improvements to that page there. I've also been gathering feedback from people (including teachers) which I hope to incorporate.

Mainly we will try and point people to install with:
    pip3 install pygame

The install.html redirect is also working again (going to the Getting Started page). As well, I've cleaned a few items up in the top navigation.

cheers,

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 10:54 PM, Michael Lutinsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

I really like this site!!

I tried to log in and it was a bit disorienting to have to jump through all the hoops regarding confirming then resetting my password, but that’s just because it wasn’t clear that that was needed because this is a new system.

If upon trying to login, the error message said, “hey this is a new site, we need you to do x, y, and z before the site will recognize you again,” then I’d feel more comforted knowing that the steps I was performing were okay and productive.

Other than that, I notice that the info on the Downloads page is nearly 8 years old for mostly versions 1.9.1. Even the line: "Not sure what to download?  Read the Installation Notes” has an 404 link.

~ Michael

On Friday, March 10, 2017 1:44:15 PM PST you wrote:

> Hey ya,

> yep. I've been meaning to improve the messaging there :) You need to

> https://www.pygame.org/confirm first, since you already had an account.

> Then probably use the http://www.pygame.org/reset after confirming. Not

> ideal, but I'll at least make the messages better now.

> Newbies don't have that issue at least.

> I'll email the 'web team' later about moderation, anti spam stuff, admin

> interface etc. I put up a guide for anyone who wants to contribute (already

> one pull request merged!) https://github.com/pygame/pygameweb/

> cheers,

> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 12:54 PM, Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Thanks René! I take it this is now running from the code at

> > https://github.com/pygame/pygameweb/ ?

> > I went through confirming my email address and resetting my password, but

> > now I get 'account is disabled' when I try to log in. Is this part of the

> > anti-spam measures? If this is what most new users will experience, can we

> > make it clearer what's happening and what they need to do?

> > Thomas

> > On 10 March 2017 at 08:51, René Dudfield <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> https://pygame.org/

Re: https://pygame.org/

ThomasMNS
Great job René, thank you for all your hard work. The new site is looking really organised.

Re: https://pygame.org/

Michael Lutinsky

> but decided not to bother everyone

Ah, that’s too bad, because the new site is worth celebrating! I don’t see sending an email being an imposition. Everyone who created an account on it cares about pygame in some way.

But that’s gret to hear that adjustments were made and it’s easy to make them!

~ Michael

On Saturday, March 11, 2017 12:48:19 PM PST you wrote:

> Good ideas Michael.

> I'll improve the login message to be something like what you mentioned.

> Also, there's plenty of opportunity for wordsmiths to improve the emails as

> well. To perhaps make them more playful and fun. There's a 'security'

> templates folder with all the different bits: https://github.com/pygame/

> pygameweb/tree/master/pygameweb/templates/security

> It might be worth making a 'confirm + reset password' link to smooth things

> for existing people. I also considered sending all people a confirmation

> email telling them about the new website... but decided not to bother

> everyone.

> Yep, the downloads page still needs updating. Instead of Downloads at the

> top nav there is a 'Getting Started' page http://www.pygame.org/wiki/

> GettingStarted

> Thomas has been doing some improvements to that page there. I've also been

> gathering feedback from people (including teachers) which I hope to

> incorporate.

> Mainly we will try and point people to install with:

> pip3 install pygame

> The install.html redirect is also working again (going to the Getting

> Started page). As well, I've cleaned a few items up in the top navigation.

> cheers,

Re: https://pygame.org/

DiliupG
I posted two new libraries a few days ago and now I can't log in as it says username and password does not exist!!!!!
What on earth am I  supposed to do now? Do I have to forfeit my old account, give up all posts and start life all over again?
Please help.

--
http://www.diliupg.com

This e-mail is confidential. It may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or have received it in error, please delete it and all copies from your system and notify the sender immediately by return e-mail. Any unauthorized reading, reproducing, printing or further dissemination of this e-mail or its contents is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions.

Re: https://pygame.org/

DiliupG
Is there anyone here who is not too busy to help?
My user name on Pygame.org is:diliupg56. email is [hidden email]) But now it says that it is unrecognized. Please help to reset/retrieve account.

[...]

Sent you an email. You should be able to get everything back.

Looks like I'll need to add tool to recover via username as well. Since some people use different or old email addresses.

cheers,

--
http://www.diliupg.com

This e-mail is confidential. It may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or have received it in error, please delete it and all copies from your system and notify the sender immediately by return e-mail. Any unauthorized reading, reproducing, printing or further dissemination of this e-mail or its contents is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions.

Re: https://pygame.org/

Ian Mallett-2
​Hi,

Re: the logins, also note that the site currently is not HTTPS. I mean, it's not particularly high-stakes, but I'd still like to recommend setting a cert up (I did it myself for my website using Let's Encrypt; it's fairly easy).

I don't really follow the architecture of this new-fangled Python-based web thing, but I reverse-engineered enough to fix a few further (very minor) things (and issue a pull request). There's some really borked stuff in the docs I would totally fix if it were uploaded (I didn't see that it had been open-sourced yet). Various others too (tags, projects, etc.), if those don't interface with too much database stuff.

Really glad to see progress here and finally open-sourcing! This has been a long time coming.

Ian

Re: https://pygame.org/

René Dudfield
Hi ya.

thanks for the fixes.

You can use the site via https.

If you let me know what borked things you're talking about I can point you in the right direction. Docs for pygame are generated from the pygame repo, and many other pages you can edit via the wiki.

cheers,

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 11:41 AM, Ian Mallett <[hidden email]> wrote:
​Hi,

Re: the logins, also note that the site currently is not HTTPS. I mean, it's not particularly high-stakes, but I'd still like to recommend setting a cert up (I did it myself for my website using Let's Encrypt; it's fairly easy).

I don't really follow the architecture of this new-fangled Python-based web thing, but I reverse-engineered enough to fix a few further (very minor) things (and issue a pull request). There's some really borked stuff in the docs I would totally fix if it were uploaded (I didn't see that it had been open-sourced yet). Various others too (tags, projects, etc.), if those don't interface with too much database stuff.

Really glad to see progress here and finally open-sourcing! This has been a long time coming.

Ian

Re: https://pygame.org/

Ian Mallett-2
On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 4:51 AM, René Dudfield <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can use the site via https.
​Ah I see! Suggest redirect HTTP -> HTTPS.​

If you let me know what borked things you're talking about I can point you in the right direction.
​For example, on https://pygame.org/docs/, there is a link to "readme.html", which doesn't exist. It should probably be "wiki/about" instead. There are 3.14e16 kg of errors of this ilk.

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Ian Mallett <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 4:51 AM, René Dudfield <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can use the site via https.
​Ah I see! Suggest redirect HTTP -> HTTPS.​

If you let me know what borked things you're talking about I can point you in the right direction.
​For example, on https://pygame.org/docs/, there is a link to "readme.html", which doesn't exist. It should probably be "wiki/about" instead. There are 3.14e16 kg of errors of this ilk.

Thanks, the readme.html redirects to wiki/about now.

Docs for pygame are generated from the pygame repo, and many other pages you can edit via the wiki.

Yep, that's the one.

Cheers mate!

Re: https://pygame.org/

William Manire
Hey All,

The new site looks great! I'm so happy to see this project finally come to fruition after all of the debating. I'm also happy to report that the site works well and looks good from the browser on my Ubuntu Phone.

Re: https://pygame.org/

Bork Air
again, your website looks like shit

the original green one had some design

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 1:44 AM, William Manire <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey All,

The new site looks great! I'm so happy to see this project finally come to fruition after all of the debating. I'm also happy to report that the site works well and looks good from the browser on my Ubuntu Phone.

Re: https://pygame.org/

Enrico Kochon
Taste sometimes differs, politeness sadly, too.

From my perspective the new site is a huge step forward. It is great seeing pygame and the community evolve.

Thanks go to all who dedicate their free time and passion to make this real.
Rock on!

Best regards
Enrico