teaching resources

René Dudfield
Hello,

Whilst there are now more than a dozen books, and video series in many languages for teaching pygame, I'd like to include a new section on the website for educational resources for teachers. Or even better, to be able to point to an existing resource.  Not particularly for 'pygame', but for digital education in general, or at least python related. I wonder if you have any thoughts on this? Maybe there could be some sort of collaboration here. Or you could give me some guidance on where to point people?

Is there something existing where resources have some sort of quality control? If there's not something good existing, it would nice to find out what is required here.

Is this the only thing on the raspberry pi side? https://www.raspberrypi.org/resources/teach/
Are there any places which collect raspberry pi teaching resources in other languages (than English)?
Is this the place for microbit? http://microbit.org/teach/
Is there some place for python in general?
Anything else I should link to?

A teacher sent me a photo of a wall showing drawings the kids all made with pygame and printed the other day. He did it for a drawing class. Another did a class with 'sound boards', where the kids jumped around on the dance mats making 'music'. For me it would be interesting to send her a link with resources for teaching music. She also teaches Finnish, and is always interested in finding resources to do that in an interesting way. So if there's something I can link to people by topic, that would be awesome sauce?

Next time someone shows me something like "community.computingatschool.org.uk/resources/4952", rather saying... "chuck it on the wiki!" perhaps there's a better more useful answer I can give them?
Or is that the place to send them? (I'm not sure they'd be interested in Japanese/German/etc resources)

best,

Re: teaching resources

Radomir Dopieralski
It's still a work in progress, but there is:
http://pythonineducation.org/

--
Radomir Dopieralski

Radomir Dopieralski

Re: teaching resources

Ian Mallett-2
On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 4:20 AM, René Dudfield <[hidden email]> wrote:
Whilst there are now more than a dozen books, and video series in many languages for teaching pygame, I'd like to include a new section on the website for educational resources for teachers. Or even better, to be able to point to an existing resource.  Not particularly for 'pygame', but for digital education in general, or at least python related. I wonder if you have any thoughts on this?
​This sounds awfully non-orthogonal to various current movements to bring CS education to the masses (which typically means coding instead, alas, but yet). Honestly, I'm not sure how valuable a new resource here would be--surely, there are educational sites for teaching, and same but specific for Python?

What makes sense to me would be a section specifically on using pygame. We already have something of this sort (I know; I've been looking-at/sprucing-up the current tutorials), but these are largely dated, and don't span the whole of what pygame has to offer. They're also text-dense, which is apparently not a popular way to learn things anymore.

Anything else I should link to?
​What would have been most helpful for me when I learned pygame would have been some solid foundation to build on. I offer my pygame hello world and pygame-GL-2 hello world as minimal, best-practices, public-domain resources (links have been stable for years, but mirroring would be ideal).

Ian​

Re: teaching resources

Craig Maloney
* René Dudfield ([hidden email]) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A teacher sent me a photo of a wall showing drawings the kids all made with
> pygame and printed the other day. He did it for a drawing class. Another
> did a class with 'sound boards', where the kids jumped around on the dance
> mats making 'music'. For me it would be interesting to send her a link with
> resources for teaching music. She also teaches Finnish, and is always
> interested in finding resources to do that in an interesting way. So if
> there's something I can link to people by topic, that would be awesome
> sauce?

I'm wondering if there might be room on the Pygame site for a "uses"
category to show folks what Pygame could be used for. Perhaps this could
be incorporated into the "Releases" section? Or it could be a separate,
curated section where a certain "featured" tag gets placed on a release
to put it into this menu?

I'd re-state the original question though. Is this looking to highlight
Pygame's usage as more than just a game library, or is this to highlight
some of the educational resources that Python offers educators?

  Craig Maloney  ([hidden email])  http://decafbad.net

Re: teaching resources

René Dudfield
On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 11:36 AM, Radomir Dopieralski <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's still a work in progress, but there is:
http://pythonineducation.org/

Oh, cool.

best,

Re: teaching resources

René Dudfield
On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Ian Mallett <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 4:20 AM, René Dudfield <[hidden email]> wrote:
Whilst there are now more than a dozen books, and video series in many languages for teaching pygame, I'd like to include a new section on the website for educational resources for teachers. Or even better, to be able to point to an existing resource.  Not particularly for 'pygame', but for digital education in general, or at least python related. I wonder if you have any thoughts on this?
​This sounds awfully non-orthogonal to various current movements to bring CS education to the masses (which typically means coding instead, alas, but yet). Honestly, I'm not sure how valuable a new resource here would be--surely, there are educational sites for teaching, and same but specific for Python?

I'd like to link to these other resources, and have a place to put resources.

What makes sense to me would be a section specifically on using pygame. We already have something of this sort (I know; I've been looking-at/sprucing-up the current tutorials), but these are largely dated, and don't span the whole of what pygame has to offer. They're also text-dense, which is apparently not a popular way to learn things anymore.

I think tutorials sections and such are fine for self learning types.  But for people trying to teach, or do activities as a group, that's a different style of resource.

For sure, they could do with a run through, to remove the spam, and put the more high quality ones to the top.

Anything else I should link to?
​What would have been most helpful for me when I learned pygame would have been some solid foundation to build on. I offer my pygame hello world and pygame-GL-2 hello world as minimal, best-practices, public-domain resources (links have been stable for years, but mirroring would be ideal).

Ian​

Yes, minimal best practices tutorials are probably something we should point to.

I'd like to have ones that have tests, and also packaging python included in there for distribution. Also, a pretty well polished full game that we can point to. I thought solarwolf could have been that, but it's sort of a bit large perhaps, and the code needs updating to current best practice python idioms.

Re: teaching resources

René Dudfield
On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 12:23 PM, Craig Maloney <[hidden email]> wrote:
* René Dudfield ([hidden email]) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A teacher sent me a photo of a wall showing drawings the kids all made with
> pygame and printed the other day. He did it for a drawing class. Another
> did a class with 'sound boards', where the kids jumped around on the dance
> mats making 'music'. For me it would be interesting to send her a link with
> resources for teaching music. She also teaches Finnish, and is always
> interested in finding resources to do that in an interesting way. So if
> there's something I can link to people by topic, that would be awesome
> sauce?

I'm wondering if there might be room on the Pygame site for a "uses"
category to show folks what Pygame could be used for. Perhaps this could
be incorporated into the "Releases" section? Or it could be a separate,
curated section where a certain "featured" tag gets placed on a release
to put it into this menu?

Great idea!

A "What can you do with pygame?" type section.

Bringing back the 'spotlight' projects would be nice. Project of the week/month, or something like your featured tag.

I'd re-state the original question though. Is this looking to highlight
Pygame's usage as more than just a game library, or is this to highlight
some of the educational resources that Python offers educators?

Well, this question was about teaching resources... but yes, it would be nice to highlight that it can be used for other things than games.

Definitely, I think this is also a good page we should have on there.

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 12:37 PM, Paul Vincent Craven <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've worked on http://programarcadegames.com for about 7 years now. I've led hundreds of students through the material, updated it, and improved it every week. With the examples, translations,  and videos, I really think it is the best quality educational resource for Pygame out there. I know I'm biased, but I don't think any other resource has had more editing not had more students go through it.

Definitely, this should go on there.

Ian​

Re: teaching resources

René Dudfield
Good point.

Ian Mallet has already made a whole bunch of little improvements to the docs.  https://bitbucket.org/pygame/pygame/pull-requests/76

I'll leave this other suggestion for the docs here...
- Divide the docs top navigation up into two parts. 'core' important basics, and 'extras'. So things like mask, Overlay, cdrom, BufferProxy, and other non essential things are in 'extras'.

cheers,

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 6:57 AM, Daniel Foerster <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks everyone. To summarise...
- A teaching resources page, which has and links to resources that teachers can use.
    - Link to:
        - Paul's proven python pygame resource.
        - raspberrypi
        - microbit
        - community.computingatschool.org.uk/resources/4952
        - other human language/region specific resources
        - different use categories (eg, for teaching music, drawing, ...)
- updated newbie guide
    - reduced set of important fundamental concepts. Based on Ian's minimal examples.
- order docs top navigation into important concepts first.
    - Surface, Rect, ...
- monitor python for education for when if it is completed. Get in contact.
- improve sprite classes for areas people have found difficult.
    - built in rotation and scaling, automatic transparency handling for image loading.
    - primitives that handle drawing.
    - not sure how to handle coordinate reversal.
- the better sprite classes given more prominence (LayeredDirty works lots faster)
- tag for educational projects
- page showing off projects for different pygame uses
    - "What can pygame be used for?"